Exchange Enrollees Have Higher Use of Specialty Meds

In January and February, the use of specialty medications was greater among exchange enrollees than commercial health plan enrollees, according to an analysis by Express Scripts. About 1.1% of total prescriptions in exchange plans were for specialty medications, compared to 0.75% in commercial health plans — a 47% difference. Increased volume for higher cost specialty drugs can have a significant effect on the cost burden for plan sponsors and patients. More than six of every 1,000 prescriptions in the exchange plans was for a medication to treat HIV, which is nearly four times higher in exchange plans than in commercial health plans. About 43% of Exchange enrollees were previously enrolled in a plan with Express Scripts in 2013. The remaining 57% could have been uninsured or previously enrolled in a plan with pharmacy coverage administered by another organization.
Patients in exchange plans paid a greater percentage of their pharmacy costs in the first two months of their plan, compared to those in commercial plans. As a result, health insurers’ per-member pharmacy costs are nearly 35% higher for their commercial plans versus their Exchange plans. For more information, visit http://lab.express-scripts.com/insights/government-programs/first-look-health-exchange-medication-utilization.

Last Updated 11/25/2020

Arch Apple Financial Services | Individual & Family Health Plans, Affordable Care California, Group Medical Insurance, California Health Insurance Exchange Marketplace, Medicare Supplements, HMO & PPO Health Care Plans, Long Term Care & Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Employee Benefits, Affordable Care Act Assistance, Health Benefits Exchange, Buy Health Insurance, Health Care Reform Plans, Insurance Agency, Westminster, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Irvine, Santa Ana, Tustin, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Laguna Beach, Laguna Woods, Long Beach, Orange, Tustin Foothills, Seal Beach, Anaheim, Newport Beach, Yorba Linda, Placentia, Brea, La Habra, Orange County CA

12312 Pentagon Street - Garden Grove, CA 92841-3327 - Tel: 714.638.0853 - 800.731.2590
Email:
Jay@ArchApple.com
Copyright @ 2015 - Website Design and Search Engine Optimization by Blitz Mogul